Knit vs. Crochet

The ongoing drama(?) of a girl torn between two obsessions with too little time.

Saturday, May 13, 2006

So little time.

I woke up this morning to find my new sweetheart lying on her side in her cage, dead.
Yesterday around noon she was fine, happy, hopping around and bringing joy to my heart just watching her play (and you know for a cynical bitch like me to say a phrase like "bring joy to my heart" that it really must have meant something...).
Yesterday early evening she had a little diarrhea and wasn't moving around as much. I figured I'd given her a treat that disagreed with her and kept checking in on her periodically.
Yesterday later in the evening she seemed to be moving around a little more, so I figured she was on the mend and went to bed.
And so it goes.
I should have known better, I should have taken her to the vet, I should have known.
She's just a bunny. I only had her for a week, barely enough time to get attached to her. Poor sweet little girl.
It seems so callous, but I'm going to get a "replacement" thursday. Thank goodness for warranties on pets, eh?
Sigh. I don't know if it was my fault or the pet store's.
I need to stop thinking about it.

3 Comments:

At 1:27 AM, Blogger Oblivia said...

:(

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Sara said...

thanks for the support. she was a sweet little thing.

 
At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. I’m really sorry to hear about your little bunny. I’ve had bunnies all my life so I know it can be hard when you lose one. Right now I have a four-year-old bunny named Flopsy. Flopsy because he is part French lop and his ears neither stand up straight nor lop over -they just kind of flop.

Looking at you cage set up I would rethink what you have as bed liner. It looks small and your rabbit may have ingested it. If it came with your cage in a kit it may not be the best. I have always used plain old newspaper to line Flopsy’s cage (and my other rabbit’s cages) and have never had a problem with it. Newspaper is cheap and environmental. I usually line the pan with 2 layers and cut some up in strips with scissors for nesting. If the rabbit eats it (and he/she will!!) it’s fine. You should never use cat litter in your bunnies’ cage because they will eat it. See rabbits cannot vomit like cats or dogs so if they ingest something they shouldn’t it can cause a big problem.

Rabbits groom themselves just as much (or even more) then cats, so you need to be sure to get some rabbit fur ball remedy from your pet store. I use one called Ultra Care. You can also feed your bunny pineapple or fruit high in fiber, like papaya. But not all rabbits will eat these, so the Ultra Care is a good choice, just put a little on his/her paw and they will lick it off. If a fur ball becomes lodged in your rabbit’s stomach one of two things can happen. 1) it can grow, expanding the rabbit’s stomach, which can burst and kill the rabbit and 2) the rabbit will stop eating because it feels full –rabbits need to eat constantly to keep their blood sugar at a certain level, if not they can go into hypothermia and die. I’m not saying this happened to you rabbit, but not many people know this.

If your rabbit gets a fur ball the tell tale signs are what I call ‘butt rolling.’ Each rabbit is a different individual (with its likes and dislikes), but I have found with each pet rabbit I have had (I’ve had 5 in my lifetime) that the fur ball reaction is the same. Your rabbit will roll its butt around like it is really uncomfortable, it might pant a little, and its poops will be really small and hard, or there will be no poops at all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home