Knit vs. Crochet

The ongoing drama(?) of a girl torn between two obsessions with too little time.

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Penguin unconditionality

I made these for the Craftster unconditional swap for someone who wished for a christmas stocking and a surprise. She liked penguins so this is what I came up with:

This little guy is made of fimo with instructions from the Sculpey site. He was just a little trickier than they made him sound (mostly, I think, because my clay-working implements consist of a toothpick and a pencil) but I'm pretty happy with the way he came out.

I used a boring old red-and-white christmas stocking as a base (and for the fake fur trim). I found some cute fabric of penguins doing wintery activities and made a sheath for the original stocking. The most time-comsuming part was probably making the penguin applique--he's made of felt, his eyes are beads, and his beak is (poorly) embroidered. It was the first time I've ever tried to make an applique (as you might be able to tell), and I'm not actually even sure that "applique" is the right term for him. He hides a little secret pocket behind his body.
Just because the person said they liked purple, I made her a pair of purple earrings. Unfortunately it seems that she doesn't wear any jewelry, so I hope she has someone she can pass them on to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home