Knit vs. Crochet

The ongoing drama(?) of a girl torn between two obsessions with too little time.

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Gack.

I've obviously been hyper-obsessed with the Etsy store. Often before listing items I'll just do some searches and make sure that someone else hasn't thought of the EXACT same thing, made it, and listed it already. A little paranoid, yes, but I'd hate to come across as a copycat (to revert to my grade school vocabulary).
I guess that in the past when I've come across items on Etsy that look pretty much exactly like mine (and were listed later) I just sort of gave them the benefit of the doubt--that perhaps they independently came up with the same idea, didn't search before listing, yadda yadda. But just now, while searching for something else, an item caught my eye and I was drawn to a shop that had several almost identical items to the ones in my shop--all listed recently, and well after my items were listed and sold. In one case the item description was even similar. And of course they're underpricing me. I noticed that she had some similar items to another polymer clay seller too...sigh.
So, what's a girl to do?
I've decided to just relax after having a long weekend with a few nice sales, and ignore it. From what I've heard on the forums, complaining to admin and direct conversation rarely leads to productive outcomes, so it's really just not worth my time. I know that ignoring the problem will not make it go away and will likely make it grow, but I'm in my last two weeks of school, I've got three exams (two of them finals) and a paper, and I've got better things to do than start a PM war.
Grr. My practicality is making my head hurt.

2 Comments:

At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh wow. i am trying to track these kinds of stories... it's really hard to prove that work is being copied, and i don't know what you'd do about it.

but i can only imagine how heartbreaking it must be.

this is not practically helpful, but just remember that you're the original one, and you won't run out of ideas, just keep moving, and getting better.

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Hapto said...

It happens. It used to be less of a deal when people would see something on craftster, or other online communities, and then copy it.. heck they'd even post tutorials about it... but these days, with a commercial outfit that takes such a small percentage to allow for sustainable moneymaking from our craft, the feeling about sharing and such... shifted, to talk about trademarks and copying, and such.

Lots of big questions are going to come up, and it will all boil down to who was the first to put cherries on a pair of earings... is vintage inspiration copying? are our source materials becoming so homogenized that our chances at originality are getting slimmer? Is the DIY Aesthetic/Ethic coming to a halt because of capitalisim? If you see it in a store or on a friend, is it ok to copy it?

big old questions.. jah.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home