Knit vs. Crochet

The ongoing drama(?) of a girl torn between two obsessions with too little time.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Sweet Hummingbird

This weekend I was at the new house with the boy and supervising his construction activities in the comfort of a screened gazebo we set up on the deck. Out of nowhere this big buzzy flying thing swoops in and starts flying frantically around the top of the tent. My first reaction was that it was the biggest of many big bugs I'd seen that day, but then I realized that it, in fact, was a hummingbird! I snapped a few shots of the little critter before helping him out of the tent:

As a side note, apparently hummingbirds are not terribly clever/have extremely limited visual fields, as I actually had to PICK HIM UP and move him outside the tent by hand--gentle shooing just didn't do it. Maybe all that vibrating makes it difficult for the brain to process information properly. But anyway, when was the last time YOU held a hummingbird in your (paper-towel-covered) hand?

2 Comments:

At 2:59 PM, Blogger Logical Judgement said...

That's so cool, you are lucky you got to touch one of those little birds!

 
At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I held a Hummer in my bare hand a couple of years ago. He was stunned and he just let me pick him up. He loved to have his head petted. He went to a place that takes hurt birds and did just fine. What a thrill!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home