Knit vs. Crochet

The ongoing drama(?) of a girl torn between two obsessions with too little time.

Monday, February 04, 2008

Green beginnings?


Left: The way it all starts. Around the laptop.
This weekend was beautiful--sunny and warm, like a promise of spring.
Was it any wonder, then, that I was inspired to work on garden-related projects?
First, the non-fun stuff--our front flowerbed has been in sad need of re-working for some time, but silly ol' me just threw some gardenias in it last year and crossed my fingers. Apparently crossed fingers were just not enough to keep them alive, and since then all but 2 have gone the way of the dodo.

So. I spent a good 8 solid hours digging half-way through the tangled mess of roots/clay/rocks that purported to be a flower bed. My arms and back are killing me, and it was miserable going, but at least I'm halfway to a flower bed that might sustain something other than crabgrass.
Then, the fun stuff--I decided to try out the Jiffy peat pellet approach to seed starting this year, given that $6 seemed a reasonable price to pay to forego the hassle of the solo-cup misery I went through last year. Here's what's in the little pellets so far:
Tomatoes: Stupice, Tibet Appel, Golden Jubilee, Giant Oxheart, Ponderosa Pink, Campbell's 1327 (all free from Wintersown.org)
Impatiens (Butterfly Hybrid Mix)
Coleus
Thai Basil
Sweet Basil
And in pots, I started:
Sweet Banana Pepper
Bell Pepper
Chinese Lantern
Nasturtium (Jewel Mix)
Iceland Poppy
I also popped some columbine seeds into the fridge.
I know, I know, it's really too early to start these guys, as technically I think our last frost date is in April, but...that's what the sunroom is for.
Below: The little tomaters in their little Jiffy Greenhouse

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home