Knit vs. Crochet

The ongoing drama(?) of a girl torn between two obsessions with too little time.

Monday, May 21, 2007

Garden update.

My latest obsession with the garden is still flourishing. Just look at the flickr...
Every morning I wake up and hop outside while the coffee's brewing/reheating to water a few choice sprouts, check my slug beer traps for victims, and pick off an aphid here and there.
Every afternoon I come back, water if necessary (I know, I'm a bum, I just can't bring myself to get up 15 minutes earlier to water EVERYTHING in the morning.), spray with my homemade soap/hot sauce insecticide (now with neem!), and do a quick check for buggies. (Which there always are. In great abundance.)
I've even known to come back past dark on a call night and check my slug traps by flashlight.
I'm crazy. I'll be so sad when this whole project yields nothing but a bunch of stunted, worm-eaten stems...but it certainly has been fun, and a great way for me to spend some time outdoors.
The picture above R is the corner of the deck, with the 'sun gold' tomato (not growing as well as its counterpart, the aptly-named 'better boy' in the ground), a little pepper plant, and my sage plant with 'grand rapids' lettuce sown underneath, just for fun.
Isn't the sage looking beautiful? I'd like to take a moment to talk about this most-beloved of my plants. In some ways it led to my gardening this year--it was a housewarming gift that flourished on my windowsill through the winter, and has yielded numerous cuttings (some living in my care, some given to others) and seasoning for a host of tasty marinades and casseroles. In fact, I'd never really considered using sage as a seasoning until I tried it fresh--somehow the fresh sage has a much more delectable and less overly-strong-breakfast-sausage taste to it. Plus, it's been super easy to grow. Just water and snip off a bunch here and there, and it rewards you by growing ever larger, greener, and bushier. I guess what I'm trying to say is...give sage a chance, if you haven't--in fact, if you stop by, I just might force you to take a cutting :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home