Knit vs. Crochet

The ongoing drama(?) of a girl torn between two obsessions with too little time.

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Life as a Hausfrau

I've been quite the productive little domesticated lady today. What's that, you say? You'd like to hear about my mundane house-lady day in excruciating detail? Well, since you asked so nicely, here it is:
Actually, let me start with last night where I stayed up until 1AM baking creme brulees, cleaning the kitchen (with actual cleaning products, not just a paper towel sprinkled with water!), and tidying up dirty laundry sprinkled liberally about the house.
This morning, I slept in until the unheard-of hour of 9AM...heck, I slept until 9:30! I immediately sprang into action and threw some coffee in a thermos and headed to the Durham farmer's market, which I've been meaning to go to forever. It was absolutely gorgeous out, and while there wasn't much fruit available (perhaps due to recent frosts?) there was a smorgasbord of wonderful, irresistable seedlings.
(Parenthetical note: I've clearly gone mad for this gardening thing. If you had asked me a year ago what I thought about vegetable seedlings I would have said "nothing.")
I restrained myself from purchasing as many plants as I would have liked (I'd have liked to bring home about a dozen different tomatoes alone) and bought only the following little motley crew:

L to R: "Better Boy" Tomato, "Sun Gold" Tomato, Thai Sweet Basil, "Empress of India" Nasturtium (x4).
Total price tag for the little guys above was $5.75, which is certainly a much better price than I would have gotten at the Home Depot, though much steeper than my 10 for $1 seeds (given, my seeded basil has JUST barely sprouted...little bastards...). The nasturtium was a total impulse purchase--I just wanted some edible flowers!
So of course I had to stop at Big Lots and get some more pots too, since I'm all out of containers. A few hours and some sunscreen later, here's what we have:

I split the nasturtium among 4 different pots--mixed with some flowers from seed (that are generally not doing wonderfully, perhaps due to my lack of expertise) and a sage cutting from my beloved windowsill plant (which was transplanted to a larger pot today, yay!)
The Thai basil (in the white wicker) will now grace my kitchen windowsill as will one of the nasturtiums (in the solo cup)--I didn't notice when I was picking out plants that its stem is a bit withery, and hopefully with some close attention it will make it.

The "Better Boy" in the ground. It may not be fancy and exotic but it's supposedly easy to grow and bears fruit fairly early, so...keep you fingers crossed for me.
Otherwise, I didn't do much with the other inhabitants of my sunroom other than move them onto the deck for the day (as I've been doing daily, then back inside at night, because since the frost killed all my little baby bean plants I've been paranoid), but I'd like to show them off anyway:

Boxes of goodies--sugar snap peas, three bean plants which I dug up and sort of salvaged, barely-sprouted asters & snapdragons, and almost totally unsprouted basil.

Hibiscus plant, from a good friend's wedding lunch - coming out of hibernation quite nicely!

Window box of "Flower Garden" mix, and two window boxes of sugar snap peas, the inhabitants of one of which I planted in the ground. So sue me, I didn't know that you were supposed to directly sow beans and peas when I put them in their boxes. Come on, this is my first garden ever.
And then, to make my housewifery complete, I:
-mended two pairs of the boy's jeans which had ripped.
-ironed three shirts (my own), which I almost never do, being that I hate ironing, particularly my women's cut shirts which have all these weird darts and such.
-vaccumed
-mopped the kitchen floor
-tidied the bedroom
-did not tidy my study/lair
-picked up fallen tree branches in the front yard
-swept the front porch and sunroom
I felt quite the grown-up!
Happy Earth Day, everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home