Knit vs. Crochet

The ongoing drama(?) of a girl torn between two obsessions with too little time.

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Cinco de Mayo + one day



It's absolutely gorgeous out today--not a cloud in the sky, 70 degree weather, and a fabulous breeze. Why couldn't this have happened yesterday so that my cinco de mayo cookout could have ben spent outside?!
Oh well. Still ate 4 kinds of dip and enjoyed quesadillas with a side of burgers.
Today was a puttering kind of day in the garden-made a new trellis for my peas, of which I'm rather proud...see pictures above, alone and installed in the garden. I'd started crocheting an afghan-square type dealy out of jute quite some time ago (for a bag, I believe) and just crocheted it into thr crook of the branch. I feel not a little bit like a large spider (Arachne, for the mythically-inclined).
Yesterday I sowed some beet and herb seeds directly into the bed as well--there were some unfilled spaces still and I figured they weren't going to grow anything productive by themselves. Also made some strips out of old pantyhose and tied up some of my sugar snap peas to the tree branch trellises.
On the pest-control front, I discovered little green worms on my broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower, which I think might be some sort of cabbage looper worm, but am too lazy to google right now. Very sad. Still have large slugs (found a big fat 3-inch one in one of the beer-traps this morning!) and sprinkled some pennies around some of my plants just because...what else am I doing with those pennies?
Aphids are sprinkled sparsely over just about every one of the plants.
I bit the bullet and bought some Neem oil-based pesticide last weekend, and have continued spraying with my homemade frank's hot sauce and liquid soap concoction. I think I might just have to get rid of the cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower---I planted them so late I doubt I'll get anything edible even if the bugs don't eat them all up first. Sigh.

1 Comments:

At 12:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To stop cabbage loopers or cabbage moths organically, try http://www.mothblocker.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home