Knit vs. Crochet

The ongoing drama(?) of a girl torn between two obsessions with too little time.

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Update

One of the greatest drawbacks to being in medical school is that I don't have the time to knit as much as I'd like to. That being said, it's amazing how appealing an old WIP can get when you're looking to get away from apoptosis and molecular signal transduction:



I picked up one of my old Very Cherry attempts--I'd made two, both highly unsuccessful attempts--my gauge was too tight on the first one and it came out a little cropped for my taste, whereas in the next one I overcompensated to make a big blobby mess with waist shaping. Keep in mind this was my FIRST knitting project after making one garter-stitch scarf, folks.
While the second one was wearable after some of my surgical alterations (nips and tucks here, some elastic there) I realized that the bigger problem at hand was this: I'm NEVER going to wear a furry, hot, Light N' Lofty sweater that doesn't have sleeves. Not only does it make my torso look fat compared to my scrawny arms, but if it's cold enough to wear a furry acrylic sweater, it's cold enough that I need sleeves.
So I picked up some stitches in the arm opening and I'm tacking on some sleeves. So far, my big concern is bulging in the armpit area. I'll press on for a few more rows (9 stitches/4 inches, it's not wasting TOO much time) and see how it looks. If it looks like it's going to work I'm going to knit directly off of my first very cherry that I never frogged.
I have to say I'm not a huge fan of the way the Light N' Lofty feels (my fingers have gotten snobbier as I've knit more) but I still love this burgundy/wine color.




This is the yellow baby sweater I showed a few posts ago. The progress since last post was accomplished on Greyhound, and also while watching Iron Chef (the sardine battle, notably). It's shown with a fab bag I got as part of a Craftster swap--jealous?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home